Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Gardena Skate Parks coming

at Rowley and Johnson Parks

Some quotes from Spohn Ranch:
    Los Angeles-based Spohn Ranch, a revered skatepark design/build firm, has broken ground on two new public skateboard parks in the City of Gardena, California.
    [They recently completed] The facility at Ernest McBride Park, already being called “the best skatepark in Long Beach” by many
    McBride Park the 9,800-square-foot park, done in the street plaza style that is popular now.

I appreciate the fact that new skate parks are being built.

However, just for the record, Houghton is the best park in Long Beach.
    A Cloverleaf bowl is better than any skate plaza.
    Sorry to inform you.

Also, the street plaza type of skate park is only considered popular now if your company only knows how to manufacture modular concrete blocks because they do not have the construction skills to build a nice flow bowl. The rest of the country, including northern San Diego, NorCal, Oregon, British Columbia overwhelmingly consider “vert” popular now. Street is only “popular now” if you live in a vacuum.

If you are really impressed with McBride Skate Park, you should check out Santa Monica Skate Park as one of many examples of something more to strive for.
    Last edited by DoCallMeFrancis; 02-14-2012, 08:27 AM.

Johnson Park design

Design photo

Comment

Re: 2 Gardena Skate Parks coming

Hi there. There are a few of us trying to fight for bowls to be included in future Long Beach skateparks (and there WILL be more parks built in the LBC.)

I've gotten involved with the folks who have been responsible for all the LBC skateparks thus far (including McBride), and the city is very sold and receptive to skateparks, BUT they do not understand the importance of having a variety of terrain. We need people to be VERY VOCAL about letting the city know the need for more balance, and most importantly bowls, pools and transitional elements.

If you are in Long Beach or nearby, PLEASE join our Facebook group so we can make some noise.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/234010333344279/

Btw, Houghton is a good bowl, but dirty as hell, and I'm tired of having to drive outside of Long Beach to have a good skate session (I was at Etnies today, amazing park, but bitch of a drive.)

Comment

Re: 2 Gardena Skate Parks coming

I went to the X Games with the boys on Saturday.
        I notice that the street course has evolved.
        In addition, Rob Dyrdek's street league course has changed.
        They have more flow now.
        The latest Gardena Plaza is completely without flow.
        Oops.

Comment

Working...
        X