X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alondra-South Bay

Concrete has been poured. Clover-type bowl is 7,8 and 9 foot cradle, junior pool is 2.5 feet in the shallow and 5 feet in the deep, not too tight. Street area is whatever. Concrete work and transitions actually don't look too bad. All steel pipe.

Re: Alondra-South Bay

Thanks for posting this up!

Is this a Wally Holliday design?

Comment

That looks fun. Where is that?

Comment

Redondo Beach Blvd. at Yukon is the entrance to the park, between Praire & Crenshaw, technically it's Lawndale but if you walk across the street you're in North Torrance. I lived in one of the apartments on Redondo Bch. Blvd from 1976 to '93 right across the street from the new park, FreeForger be sure to post when it opens it will give me a second reason to go visit my old stomping grounds (the first reason is "Pit Burger" best teriyaki EVER!)

Comment

This is really close to my work! I'll be on the lookout...

Comment

Looks good enough to localize.
            My wave. My wave.

Comment

cool pics, I can't tell from the background which part of Alondra park this is at, I'd heard it was being built where the old "swimming pool" (I use that term loosely) was off of Redondo Bch. Blvd. but your pictures look like it's more towards the Manhattan Bch. Blvd side (the high golf course netting that lines the course) which is it?

Comment

It's at the Redondo Beach Blvd. / Yukon entrance. There's a large construction site right at the entrance, and the skatepark is being built in the back of the site.

Comment

Has anyone skated it yet?

Comment

Outlaw sessions happening now.

Comment

When I look at the bowl from outside the fence, it seems a little small and deep. Hopefully when we actually get to ride it, it will have the right proportions.
                      L.A. County is having this skatepark built and they have had other nice skate parks built in the past. However, it is not clear what company is designing this skate park.

Comment

Apparently, there is a whole in the fence and lots of skaters are already going there even though it is not officially open.

Comment

The park looks good.

The name of the company, sub contractor building the skate park is called Classic Engineering.

I'd give it a 3 1/2 wheels based on the way it looks so far. Maybe a notch down from Santa Monica and Venice skate parks - not as much flow as they have, but better than anything else around.

However, this may be the best skatepark for kiddie and daddy mini vert. Thanks to the bonus mini bowl behind the regular bowl. I didn't know that there are two bowls. The mini bowl looks similar to what the Harada mini bowl should have been if it were done right.

They still have a lot more coping to lay.

The hip they made in the plaza area is also nice.
                          Last edited by DoCallMeFrancis; 02-13-2012, 08:11 AM.

Comment

The plaza

Comment

Working...
                            X