X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lakewood Center Skateboard World

Mike, if I remember right the Torrance park kinda sucked but "Steve's South bay" park in Torrance was rad. We went there alot, it was one of the last one's to go up...

Comment

Dave Middleman(sp?) operated the pro-shop at Lakewood and sold alot of the blue Baronite rails & accessories. I had a set of the thick rails on a Kryptonics K-Beam,

and later a set of the thin rails and tail block on a Gelfand "tank" board:

They worked great as I recall...

Originally posted by Mogulman
      Damn Mark! What's the story with the tall blue sliders on the black stick in the above pictures. They look very much like the tall blue sliders I was marketing around then.

We eventually came out with some thin rails as well and other thin line products. But that self lubricating blue nylon was some hot mean stuff!!!! (Baronite was the trade name for the nylon).

If that is a match and those are in your possession, then at least 5 of the rails have still survived.

Comment

Just remembered I had those exact same rails on my Sims Brad Bowman. Got them at Hot Skates right by the Big O.

Dan C

Comment

Thanks for the photos and info guys. It could very well be that when I closed up shop (12/80), that the guy (Baronite - Oceanside) who had the license for and manufactured the material and rails still managed to market the stuff for some time afterwards. To be in possession of any baronite skate products would be considered a rare deal. That self lubricating nylon is very expensive in todays manufacturing world!

The true mounting of the rails and tail blocks was done by drilling through the deck and using a small flattop bolt and small hex nut wedged into the bar or block to lock it all in place. I did manage to move some of the product up north for a short while when I made a visit with the ASPO circuit. Some skaters still used the little wood screws that mounted from the bottom of the deck, but the material would compress over time and the rails/blocks would loosen up.

Thanks for the pictures Parkrider, that really looks like the stuff. I will poach those photos for use in my personal album. Made my day!

Liking all the great old (new to me) photos of the parks and stories that go with as well!!!!
          Last edited by Mogulman; 02-13-2006, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I can't remember where I bought the blue rails... I wanna say at the Lakewood skatepark or some nearby skate shop. The copers were Indy. Hopefully, those were your brand, Jeff. Thanks for the history/education on those.

Sad demo shot.

Another, w/me not being very happy, as the bulldozers work away.

Top photo was taken by me and the two others were Ray Zimmerman.
            ________
            RebeccaLoveXXX
            Last edited by Sumdumsurfer; 08-13-2011, 12:34 PM.

Comment

LAKEWOOD CENTER SWEEEET. ME AND BY FRIENDS USE TO TAKE THE RTD(NOW MTA) TO THAT PARK EVERY SAT. SUN. DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR AND EVERYDAY IN THE SUMMER OF 79. DID MY FIRST BACKSIDE AIR IN THE HALF PIPE MY 1ST FRONTSIDE GRIND IN THE SMALLER OF THE "SWIMMING" POOLS.ALONG WITH UPLAND O.G. MY FAVORITE PARK.

Comment

Here are those same blue rails on my Sims Brad Bowman.

Dan C

Comment

Originally posted by DAN C
                  Here are those same blue rails on my Sims Brad Bowman.

Dan C
                  Great shot Dan - in the back / snakerun bowl at the BigO it looks like?...

Comment

Good eye Tim....

Dan C

Comment

here you go dan same pic with no stain.

Comment

Well unfortunately I didn't move to Lakewood/Long Beach until 84. But Mark, My wife worked at that Fiddler's Three back in the 80's. I did skate the Colton Ranch while it was open and then after it closed. We went almost every day... especially when the bulldozers showed up. we would move from bowl to bowl as they demo'ed the place. I don't have pix of those but here is obviously a shot after it closed, since I wasn't wearing a helmet & people just hanging out...
                        (sorry it was a cheap instant b&w camera)

Comment

Thanks for finding the pic Dan.

&

I always liked just about any of the Sims boards and wheels back then.

Comment

Mogul- No doubt.

Brock13 - Thanks for the clean up job on that pic.

DC

Comment

Nice, Randifer... I'm sure she and I crossed paths... I ate in there, a lot.]
                              ________
                              One vaporizer
                              Last edited by Sumdumsurfer; 08-13-2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Yea, we've all crossed paths I am sure of it.
                                Fid's had the best Patty Melts...
                                & Waitresses

Comment

Working...
                                X